- Remove the label under hot water
- Use vegetable oil and cornstarch and coat the glue on the bottle (50% oil, 50% cornstarch)
- Let the cornstarch and oil sit for 5 minutes
- Rinse off the cornstarch and oil with warm water
- Trace fins onto fin material
- Cut out the fins with an exacto knife
- Fine the fins with scotch tape
- Cut the sleeve in 1/2 and fit the sleeve to the pressure chamber. Use tape to connect the sleeve together
- Draw lines on the sleeve to space out the fins (90 degrees for 4 fins, 120 degrees for 3 fins)
- Place dots of super glue on the fin and attach to the sleeve. Hold the fin on the sleeve for 30 seconds
- Reinforce the fins with tape
- Repeat steps 6-7 for the other fins
Tommy Toy Nose Cone Tutorial
- Cut the bottom off of the bottle
- Cut 2 circles out of foam board with the same diameter as the bottle
- Use a piece of paper as a stencil and trace the door onto your bottle.
- Drill 4 holes in the corner of the door on the bottle. Use scissors to cut out the door.
- Trace the cut out door onto the second bottle. Cut out the new door so that is 0.5cm larger than the original door.
- Insert the supports (circles) inside the nose cone with super glue or hot glue.
- Attach a sleeve to the bottom of the nose cone that will fit over the pressure chamber.
- Cut the nozzle off of the top of the nose cone.
- Cut a ping pong ball and insert it on top of the nose cone
- Drill two holes into one of the supports inside the nose cone. Thread a rubber bad through the holes to hold the altimeter.
- Extract the motor from the tommy toy.
- Use pliers to remove the plastic handle off the tommy toy motor.
- Use 2 pliers to bend the tommy toy shaft 90 degrees
- Attach the head of the zip tie to the shaft of the tommy toy
- Drill holes to zip tie the tommy toy to the nose cone
- Attach the tommy toy motor to the nose cone
- Dill another set of holes to hold the trigger mechanism
- Use transparency sheets and create a spring mechanism for the parachute
- Attach the spring mechanism to the nose cone
- Attach the door to the nose cone
- Dill 2 tiny holes and thread elastic spring in the holes and tie together.
Video will be out soon
- Cut a trash bag in ½ and lay flat on the floor
- Draw a circle on the trash bag then cut out
- Fold the circle in half, then in quarters, then in eighths. This marks where to put the string.
- Measure out 8 pieces of string that are twice the diameter of the parachute.
- Tie a knot at the end of each string
- Tape the knot side of the strings to the parachute
- Place a weight in the center of the parachute and pull tight then tie all the strings together
- Optional: cut a hole at the top of the parachute to increase stability
- Cut the bottom off of two 2L soda bottles
- Heat a pot of water with 0.5 inch depth to 160 degrees
- Slide the female bottle onto a 0.5 inch pvc pipe
- Very quickly dip the male bottle in the water
- Check if the male bottle fits in the female bottle
- Repeat steps 4-5 until you get a very tight fit with the two bottles
- Sand the outside of the male bottle
- Sand the inside of the female bottle
- Use a popsicle stick and apply a layer of PL premium on the outside of the male bottle. (Do not get it on your hands)
- Apply a layer of PL premium on the inside of the female bottle.
- On the 0.5 inch pvc pipe, slide the male bottle into the female bottle and push them firmly together.
- Adjust to make the the joint perfectly straight
- Let the glue dry for 5 days
- Neatly apply a stip of duct tape over the joint
- Pressure test