Objective: Investigate the Unit problem
Consider a ferris wheel and you want to model the vertical position of a passenger over time. Note as the ferris wheel spins, the passengers vertical and horizontal speed is not constant. Given positions a, b, c, and d, rank the vertical speed from fastest to slowest.
Unit Problem Activity:
- (3 min) Read pages 4-5 in the textbook
- At your tables there is a supply of materials, make a physical model of the problem
- Specify any information you need to know about the circus act to determine when the assistant should let go.
- What are the variables in this problem?
- What do you expect will be the most challenging task in solving this problem?
- What is the next step?