- Understand how to find all the sides of a right triangle using soh, cah, toa.
- Convert radians to degrees and degrees to radians.
- Apply triangles to finding the height on a ferris wheel at certain angles.
Warm up: Desmos Debut
- Using Soh Cah Toa to solve right Triangles
- Converting Radians and Degrees
Ferris Wheel Activity: Due Thursday 1/16/20
Consider a ferris wheel with a radius of 50 feet and turns at a constant speed. The center of the ferris wheel is 65 feet off the ground and takes 40 seconds to complete one revolution and turns counter clockwise. Copy and paste this problem on a separate document and answer the following questions.
- How high off the ground are the passengers when they are at the following positions?
- 3 o’ clock position
- 12 o’ clock position
- 2 o’ clock position
- 11 o’ clock position
- 4 o’ clock position
- What is the speed (in feet per second) of the passengers as they go around this ferris wheel?
- Look up the definition of angular speed, what is the angular speed of this ferris wheel?
- How many seconds does it take to for the passengers to go each of these distances?
- 3 o’ clock to 11 o’ clock
- 3 o’ clock to 7 o’ clock