Project Log Entry #2
- Go over the POW write up
- Discuss the following prompts for the exemplar and write a one sentence summary of your discussion as evidence.
- In what ways does this person have a clear problem statement? How could it be improved?
- In what ways does the process make it clear to understand, and to what extent could it be replicated by someone that is not familiar with the problem?
- In what ways is the conclusion honest, and shows a clear understanding of the solution and how to get there?
Class discussion: Share one takeaway from this activity and how you can apply that to refine your POW write up?
Math 10 POW Structure
In one sentence, restate the problem in your own words in a clear and concise manner.
Example: “Find the maximum value of the function f(x)=-2x2+500x.”, where x = time.
Clearly explain how you approached and handled the problem. Include diagrams, pictures, and a step by step list of how you went about solving the problem. This should be clear enough so that someone that does not know how to solve the problem can follow and understand what you did.
In one sentence, present your solution to the original problem.
Choose one of the habits of the mathematician that applies most to this POW, and explain how that habit helped you solve the problem.
- Generating Ideas: In what ways did you come up with ideas while solving this problem? Explain how your ideas, bad or good, helped you find the solution?
- Thinking and Communicating: How well did you work with others while solving the problem, and how well did you communicate your ideas to others? What idea helped you gain a deeper understanding and why?
- Recognizing and Resolving Errors: In what ways do you know your solution is correct, and in what ways did you recognize your ideas and errors.
- Reflecting and Synthesizing: What skills did you learn while working on this problem, and how could those skills be applied to different kinds of situations?